BAP016 Christy Reynolds, Middle School ESL Teacher

Success for newcomers can be measured in many ways. I’m excited to share what is working for the English learners at a Middle School in Round Rock, Texas.

Christy Reynolds from CD Fulks Middle School joined me this week to talk about the growth her newcomers are experiencing after only a few months in their newly created reading support class.  She also shares how they are supporting them in content classes.  The success of the students is showing up on their assessments but more importantly, it is evident in their attitudes, their interest and their engagement.You can listen to this week’s show in Soundcloud, on Itunes  or right here:

Christy visited my classroom back in October, just before she was setting up her own newcomer class.  I was impressed with her determination and her confidence in the newcomers at her middle school.

Earlier this week, Christy sent me these Chatterpix made by her first year students. You can see those here:

Christy says she is impressed with how much English they are using.  She also shares that they were inspired by one of my students who recorded a quick video for them.  I can’t wait to tell him that his video had an impact.

Christy did me a great favor by sharing that information.  I am always looking for ways to show my students that they are important and that they can inspire others.  This is foundational to looking at your SIFE and Newcomers with an asset mindset.

I hope you listen to the podcast so you can be inspired by the great things happening for these students in their first year in US schools.  We know that high expectations and a strong belief in our students will help them with their own growth mindset.  Kudos to Christy and everyone at CD Fulks Middle School for boosting the achievement of these English learners!  You can follow Christy on Twitter @UTexChick

Where can we connect soon?

I’d love to see you at one of the following trainings:

• I’m attending The What’s Working in Texas Conference  Jan 25, 2018 #SeidlitzConf
  • March 21 in Houston– Using Tech with ELLs Conference in Houston. John Seidlitz and I will present this popular training again! (register below)
  • March 27 in DFW – Boosting Achievement of Students with Interrupted or Minimal Education (register below)
Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download