I have a podcast for you that underscores what can happen when we collaborate globally.
In 2015 I found Derek Rhodenizer’s podcast! I often say that Derek Rhodenizer is one of the most innovative people you can follow. So I was honored to come on his show. His podcast was new at the time and I didn’t have mine yet.
I love that this show started a friendship with Derek that has lasted years. He inspired me to have my own show so if you like the podcast, we can thank Derek!
I was still in the classroom at this time. I was teaching High School. I love the time because we were really starting to figure out how to capitalize on an asset mindset and the SIFE and Newcomers students were learning so much.
- What to keep in mind in any classroom that has SIFE and/or ESL students.
- Proficiency Levels for English Learners – keeping the thinking high on Blooms.
- A Safe Environment with a Social Contract
- The new show OnEdMentors that Derek was starting (which I became a regular on)
- Teachers (new and veteran) Asking for Help
- Tape-recording Yourself
- Joseph Maurer – a Math Teacher Who Was Boosting Achievement of Secondary Math Students
- How Language Learners are the answer for quality classroom instruction.
- Larry Ferlazzo (I had just started following him and wasn’t sure how to pronounce his hame. Ha!)
- Tan Huyhn – So glad I had started following him!
- #ELLchat – the chat and the hashtag
- Realize first priority for the Content Teacher vs. the ESL Teacher
Be sure to follow Derek! You’ll love his shows including A Word in Progress that will soon be his new book!
Here is where I will be in the near future if you’re reading this in early 2019:
NABE March 7-9 in Orlando. I have Breakout Sessions
NAELPA, formerly NCSTIIID, is having our annual meeting on March 6 in Orlando. Come! I’m the keynote & on a panel that day.
Michigan Association of Bilingual Educators (MABEMI) May 9 & 10. I’m a keynote and I have break out sessions
Awesome $129 rate for Rapid Literacy pre-conference May 8 through MABEMI.($99 if you go as a group!)
Long Island ESOL March 23rd. I’m on a panel and I have sessions.
Andrea Honigsfeld will be the Keynote Speaker for #VirtuEL19! – Let’s get some IRL watch parties together!