How to Reach Your Students – Carol Salva on Beyond the Staffroom with Derek Rhodenizer

I have a podcast for you that underscores what can happen when we collaborate globally.

In 2015 I found Derek Rhodenizer’s podcast!  I often say that Derek Rhodenizer is one of the most innovative people you can follow.  So I was honored to come on his show.  His podcast was new at the time and I didn’t have mine yet.

I love that this show started a friendship with Derek that has lasted years.  He inspired me to have my own show so if you like the podcast, we can thank Derek!

I was still in the classroom at this time. I was teaching High School.  I love the time because we were really starting to figure out how to capitalize on an asset mindset and the SIFE and Newcomers students were learning so much.

In the show, Derek and I discuss the following:

• What to keep in mind in any classroom that has SIFE and/or ESL students.
  • Proficiency Levels for English Learners – keeping the thinking high on Blooms.
  • A Safe Environment with a Social Contract
  • The new show OnEdMentors that Derek was starting (which I became a regular on)
  • Teachers (new and veteran) Asking for Help
  • #ObserveMe
  • Tape-recording Yourself
  • Joseph Maurer – a Math Teacher Who Was Boosting Achievement of Secondary Math Students
  • How Language Learners are the answer for quality classroom instruction.
  • Larry Ferlazzo (I had just started following him and wasn’t sure how to pronounce his hame. Ha!)
  • Tan Huyhn – So glad I had started following him!
  • #ELLchat – the chat and the hashtag
  • Realize first priority for the Content Teacher vs. the ESL Teacher

Hope you enjoyed this look back.

Be sure to follow Derek!  You’ll love his shows including A Word in Progress that will soon be his new book! 

Here is where I will be in the near future if you’re reading this in early 2019: